Registration number 20100318N
This certifies that the heraldic arms of Boston University are registered and described by the blazon below
University established 1839, chartered by the Massachusetts legislature about 1869.
The crowns encircling the cross on the University emblem connect Boston University with the town of Boston, England and with Oxford University. The words on the banner, “Learning, Virtue, Piety,” are found in Boston University's charter. http://www.bu.edu/dbin/infocenter/content/index.php?pageid=901
A large brass plate displaying the arms was installed in the central Marsh Plaza, possibly in the late 1920's.