Registration number 20061127B
This certifies that the heraldic arms of Gilman School are registered as an original design and are described by the blazon below
Gilman School, originally named The Country School for Boys, is a private school founded in 1897 and located in Baltimore, Maryland.
Hamlet S. Philpot, Greek, Latin, and History Master from 1904 to 1913
designed the Gilman Seal. Mr. Philpot was also the first librarian. He
came to Gilman with an M.A. from Oxford University. The insignia "In
Tuo Lumine Lumen" means, "in thy light do we see light" from Psalm 36.
The motto on the book, "Ad astra" is the shortened version of "Ad astra
per aspera" which means " to the stars through difficulties." Arthur
Lamb, Science Master, 1899 to 1933 suggested some emblem of industry be
added to the seal and the bees resulted.