Registration number 20061022H
This certifies that the heraldic arms of the 'Roman Catholic Diocese of Burlington, Vermont are registered and described by the blazon below
Diocese website: http://www.vermontcatholic.org
The arms of the diocese are composed of a green field which meets a gold chief (upper one-third of the design) at a jagged line, called “dancette,” to give the impression of green mountain peaks, thus honoring “The Green Mountain State” of Vermont, which is the Diocese of Burlington. Below the mountains is a golden stag’s head that is taken from the arms of Lord Cavendish, Earl of Burlington, for whom the See City is named.
Between the stag’s antlers is a golden cross fleuretty. This cross, honoring the French missionaries who first brought The Faith to the region, signifies that the first priest to be stationed in the service of the people of Vermont, Father Jeremiah O’Callaghan, was sent by Boston Bishop Benedict Fenwick. In 1853 the Diocese of Burlington was established, as part of the Province of Baltimore, but in 1875, with the creation of the Archdiocese of Boston, the See of Burlington was transferred to become part of the new province.