Registration number 20061022E
This certifies that the heraldic arms of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta, Georgia are registered and described by the blazon below
Diocese website: http://www.archatl.com/
For years, known as the “Crossroads of the South,” because it served as the hub of transportation in the region, Atlanta was originally known as “ Whitehall .” A succession of names, “Terminus,” in 1843 “Marthasville”, finally came to be “ Atlanta ,” indirectly referencing the Atlantic Ocean , signified by the wavy bars of the design, in 1847. Upon this symbolism are an open gold crown to honor the titular of the Cathedral Church , Christ the King and a Cherokee Rose (Rosa Laevigata), a white rose with a golden center, the state flower of Georgia.