The School Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University
Registration number 20060928B
This certifies that the heraldic arms of
The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University
are registered as an original design and are described by the blazon below
Arms: Gules a cross raguly Sable on a chief Sable sustained wreathed Argent three open books Argent, edges, covers, and clasps Or, on the books the letters VE RI TAS Sable.
The seal is composed of three elements:
- The modern version of the Harvard "veritas" chief appears at the top.
- Directly below the chief, the horizontal chain stitch highlights the work of Gordon McKay, a manufacturer, entrepreneur, and philanthropist most well known for improving, patenting, and licensing a revolutionary machine for sewing shoes.
- In the main body of the seal is the coat of arms of the Lawrence family, honoring donor Abbott Lawrence, for whom the Lawrence Scientific School was named. The arms (called the "ragged cross") appear as they were originally rendered by designer Pierre de Chaignon la Rose in the seal for the Harvard Engineering School created in 1936. (The 1936 seal was likely never officially used or displayed.)
(Quoted from the school's webpage.)
Education, US, H, E