Registration number 20060927N
This certifies that the heraldic arms of The Extension School, Harvard University are registered as an original design and are described by the blazon below
Joo-Hee Chung, "What are the meanings of the house and graduate school shields?", Harvard Crimson 11/01/2001
President Abbott Lawrence Lowell, Class of 1877, who served from 1909 to 1933, initiated The Extension School as an enlargement of the Lowell Institute. Because Lowell House was already using the Lowell family arms, the Extension School designed another shield featuring two bushels of wheat, which was the fee for courses given originally by the Lowell Institute. Also, to signify learning by night, a burning lamp is shown at the base of the shield.