Registration number 20061022D
This certifies that the heraldic arms of the Catholic Diocese of Charleston, South Carolina are registered and described by the blazon below
Diocese website: http://www.catholic-doc.org/
The arms based upon those of His Holiness, Pope Pius VII who established the See on July 20, 1820. This Pope was of the Chiarmonti family which bore a shield diagonally divided. Because he was a Benedictine monk the Diocese displays in her arms three "moline" crosses symbolic of that ancient Order.
To commemorate the See City, named in honor for King Charles II of England, a golden lion from the arms of this sovereign is displayed on a red "chief." This majestic beast is also an heraldic pun on the name of the founding Bishop John England inasmuch as the golden lion "passant guardant" on a red field is known as the "Lion of England."